I was all prepared this week to write on a certain topic, but as I sat down with my tea in hand God seemed to have something else in mind. This week’s topic may result in some readers totally disagreeing with me, becoming angry, hot under the collar, but I assure you the information I’m about to present is not just my opinion it is cemented deep in scripture.
This week’s message could be the very most important message I have written since I started this site; if it reaches the right people. This country, this world has fallen under an attack of a perversion of the word of God due to a popular sect of those who would call themselves Christian Ministers. This fraudulent portrayal of God’s word is often known as the Prosperity Gospel; (Name it; Claim it). These are the men and women you watch on TV that sound more like a life coach like Anthony Robbins then a man or woman of God. They tell you about money, and houses and cars and finances; they sound like they should be working for H&R block!
The Prosperity Gospel is centered on the notion that God provides material prosperity for those he favors. It has been defined by the belief that Jesus blesses believers with riches or more specifically as the teaching that “believers” have a right to the blessings of health and wealth and that they can obtain these blessings through positive confessions of faith and the 'sowing of seeds' through the faithful payments of tithes and offerings.
There are certain Biblical verses those that promote this fallacy like to manipulate. These are verses you need to be aware of.
• Malachi 3:10 - "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this,' says the LORD of hosts, 'if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows"
• Deuteronomy 8:18 - "But you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth, that He may confirm His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day"
• John 10: 10 - "I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."
• 3 John 2-4 - "Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers."
Although these verse are parts of the unfalable word of God proponents of this teaching often take the verses out of context and add to them there own made up thoughts and teachings that are often not Godly.
Let’s look for a minute at two of the most important instructions in scripture: the Great Commandment and the Great Commission:
• The Great Commandment: matt 22:37- 40 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with your entire mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
• The Great Commission: matt 28:19-20 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
This is it right here this is the entire nature of scripture if you look at the Great Commandment then look at the Ten Commandments the first five are talking about loving God and the last five are about loving each other. The Great Commandment is how we are supposed to live our life and the Great Commission is what we are supposed to do with our life. Yes God loves us yes God wants to bless us, but not so we can run around with a new car or to show an excess of wealth.
Jesus healed many people in scripture but it was a man’s spiritual condition that He was truly concerned with. In the Gospel of John there was a man lying by a pool and Jesus made him well, he told them man pick up your mat and go home, later Jesus found the man walking and Jesus went up to the man and said John 5:14 “Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.” The healing was secondary it was the condition of the man’s soul Jesus was concerned with. I heard a question today “Which is greater God’s love for us, or God’s glory…. With out God’s glory God can have no love for us!!! We are not hearing to receive from God but to have open hands too God. With open hands to God yes God will refill those hands, yes it is impossible to out give God but if that is our intention is our faith real?
If you are giving to God only for the blessing would you have left Egypt if you were Moses? Would you have left the palace for the desert based on the faith of the unseen? That is the kind of faith that God is seeking. Would you have left the palace for the desert? Below is a list taken off of Wikipedia of those who engage in prosperity theology: I list these men and women not to bash or insult anyone but just to make people aware that the people you are following may not be preaching the word of God you think you are listening to. Remember, the Lord Jesus Christ warns us to beware of wolves in sheep’s clothing.
• Joel Osteen
• Benny Hinn
• Joyce Meyers
• Kenneth Copeland
• David Yonggi Cho
• Creflo Dollar
• Jesse Duplantis
• Kenneth Hagin
• T. D. Jakes
• Eddie Long
• Peter Popoff
• Joseph Prince
• Brian Tamaki
• Robert Tilton
• Mike Velarde
• Edir Macedo