Happy Are the Sad
Matthew 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
for they will be comforted.
The structure of life; the way we live is to avoid pain, to avoid sadness to deeply desire comfort, to flee from sorrow and to escape disappointment. However; Jesus says, “Happy are the Sad” “Blessed are those who mourn” this is contrary to everything we know.
Our country has gone absolutely crazy on what our priorities are when it comes to what we spend money on. In a 2008 article in Forbes Magazine on what Americans spend money on was published, it breaks down, in a survey that was done in 2005 what Americans spend money on compared to what the rest of the world does.
In impoverished areas of
Egypt and it was typically found that the general population was spending 43% -55% of income on food and non-alcoholic beverages. In Ethiopia America and we spend only 4-6% on food; we spend 5-6% on Tobacco, Alcohol, and Narcotics. The big and scary numbers come for the shoppers… Electronics we spend 15.5% of our discretionary spending, and apparel somewhere around 15%. Canada
WoW… 55% on food for the starving nation; …. 30% just on entertainment and clothes for Americans. Have we gone Entertainment crazy? Are we trying and trying almost always hopelessly through money and amusement to make ourselves happy and wondering where is the happiness?
Jesus didn’t only say; Happy Are the Sad but He also said in Luke 6:25 “Woe unto you that laugh now for your laughter shall become weeping”. That makes this much more serious. He’s not just saying the one who morn’s is blessed but he put’s a curse on the world’s type of happiness.
What kind of mourning is Jesus talking about and not talking about:
· General Sorrow: weeping, general loneliness, sorrow, sadness, the kind of every day sorrow you have to let out, being able to let it out and release it is a gift from God
· Mourning because a man can not satisfy his lust: an improper type of morning: 2nd Samuel 13:2: Absalom was so infatuated with his sister Tamar that he fell sick because he could not satisfy his lust. In 1 Kings 21:4 Ahab wanted Naboths vineyard and he coveted so much that he laid on his bed and would not eat.
· Foolish Mourning; mourning that is over extended for someone who can’t let someone go. Happens in the case of Christians who die in the Lord and a partner becomes a literal basket case. Not talking about the natural grieving process from experiencing loss but way over and above. When the mourning becomes selfish and life altering and the Christian wont accept or let the departed go and be with the Lord there is only sorrow and no rejoicing in the resurrection with Christ.
· Being over sorrow from guilt of sin; some people just get so so so sorry, so mournful as a way for atoning for their sins that its over done. There’s an Arab saying that says “To much Sun shine; makes desert”
Jesus is not talking about the sorrow of this world. That kind of sorrow doesn’t teach us much.
2nd Corinthians 7:10 “For Godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.”
You can be mournful or sorrowful about anything you want to be but if you cry your eyes out about the things of this world you will only find yourself more attached to the things of this world. Godly sorrow is sorrow that leads to repentance; sorrow over sin. Sorrow over this world is useless its being sorry because you’re a sinner that is the only issue.
What is it to mourn over human circumstances?
· Mark 8:36 “For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?”
Remember what we talked about in our last message? Blessed be the poor in Spirit? No one gets into God’s Kingdom without being Spiritually bankrupt remember the Greek word ptochos we looked at, “Shrinking, cringing, begging poor”; . You have to have that overwhelmingly helpless feeling. Why am I brining this up because these go hand and hand. Recognizing that you are ptochos in Sprit that you are spiritually bankrupt that there is no good thing in you, that you are in deed a sinner is the intellectual part, is the head knowledge, once you realize that it becomes emotional, now this part comes in and you naturally become sorrowful for that; mournful.
The happiness doesn’t actually come in the mourning but it comes from what God does from it. Try to live as a Christian and keep sin in your life bottled up; see what that does to your life? However see what happens when you confess that sin and repent from it; the freedom and happiness that comes from it.
The Happiness comes from the comfort God gives us. Jesus is the first comforter for He says the Father will give “another” comforter” the Holy Spirit.
· John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever”
· John 14:26 “ But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance , whatsoever I have said unto you.”
If you don’t have a sense of the sin in your life, a mournful sense of the sin, then you seriously need to question your salvation. God demands repentance not just empty belief with repentance comes a sorrowful sense for your responsibility of that sin.
How do you know you’re a Christian?
Is it because you made a decision for Christ a bunch of years ago that you can hardly remember but you know you made? If that’s the only thing your basing your salvation on you have a serious problem;
Hopefully you answer that question because there is present evidence of Jesus in your heart and in your life.
Remember I’m always available to answer any questions email@example.com